How To Test Internet Speed and WiFi Speed Simultaneously
1. Understand Internet Speed
Internet Speed is the speed in which an Internet server and a user device exchange data (for example - 10 Mbps or Megabits per Second)
Internet "speed" is in fact two distinct speeds - a "Download Speed" (the speed of data sent from a server to a user device) and an "Upload Speed" (the speed of data a user device sends to a server).
Rules of Thumb
Factors impacting Internet Speed
- Subscribed tier with the ISP (Internet Service Provider)
- Current load (i.e., data sent from all servers and user devices) at each and every component along the way
- Technology capabilities of all components along the data path - server, user device, routers, interconnections, wireless medium (e.g., WiFi, Cellular 3G/4G/5G)
2. Understand WiFi Speed
WiFi Speed (also called "WiFi Phy Speed") is the maximum speed that a WiFi router and a user device can send data to each other at a given moment.
Phy speed can change from one second to another.
Rules of Thumb
Factors impacting WiFi Phy Speed
- WiFi signal strength
- External interference to the WiFi Signal
- WiFi spectrum band
- Router and device WiFi technology and capabilities
When Internet is served over WiFi - Internet speeds are limited by the WiFi phy speed.
Use analiti to get faster WiFi.
3. Speed Test Internet and WiFi Simultaneously
As WiFi phy speed impacts your Internet speed (when you use WiFi) - it's important to test both together.
Use analiti to test both simultaneously.